Friday, November 09, 2007

Krugman: Health Care Excuses

Okay, I know he's a liberal (Exh. 1: "The Conscience of a Liberal"), and so am I, so there are times when I suppose Paul Krugman's arguments seem irresistible when they're not. But today's column strikes me as just plain common-sensical.

Krugman offers up four common excuses often used to argue against health reform and then refutes them. It is worth a read. Here are the excuses:
  • Excuse No. 1: No insurance, no problem.

  • Excuse No. 2: It’s the cheeseburgers.

  • Excuse No. 3: 2007 is better than 1950.

  • Excuse No. 4: Socialized medicine! Socialized medicine!

And, by the way, a big shout out to the managers at The New York Times who have stopped putting the good stuff where only subscribers could get to it. I don't know what their new business plan is, or how they can afford it, but I am grateful for total Web access (i.e., the same as The Washington Post). As a subscriber, I've always had it, but as a blogger it was frustrating not being able to share so much as a link. Those days are now blissfully over!

No comments: